Under direction of the Controller, the Accounting Specialist is the primary individual responsible for the accounts payable function of the organization, including receiving, coding, matching, entering, researching and filing vendor invoices, processing employee expense reports, and coordinating weekly disbursements for the company. This person will also be highly involved in the payroll process and other general accounting procedures, including journal entries and account reconciliations.
In this key position, the Accounting Specialist will be working in a fast-paced environment and be responsible for handling sensitive and confidential employee information. A successful candidate should be capable of producing accurate and timely work products, possess a strong work ethic and be a team player.
- Sort, track and record incoming invoices, credits, packing slips, payment requests and other payable-related documents to ensure timely processing.
- Review all invoices and disbursement requests for clerical accuracy, verify or obtain proper approvals, according to current policy.
- Review and process employee travel and expense reimbursement reports according to current policy.
- Set up new vendors in accounting system in close collaboration with purchasing personnel.
- Communicate professionally with vendors and internal customers to research and resolve inquiries related to invoice and payment status.
- Prepare sales and use tax reporting for California, and annual Form 1099 notice to vendors and IRS, according to stated deadlines.
- Process semi-monthly payroll for both hourly and salary employees.
- Administer the payroll system to ensure current and accurate wages and deduction information is accurate, necessary to process and meet payroll deadlines.
- Respond and resolve employee payroll issues and ensure W-2’s are timely filed.
- Prepare journal entries for the accounts payable and payroll processes and perform recurring month-end reconciliations and account analysis.
- Work closely with Senior Accountant to review and determine required monthly accruals.
Equivalent to associate degree or formal training and certification from a community or technical college in accounts payable, payroll, bookkeeping, administrative and office management skills, or a related field. Minimum of five years of relevant experience with accounts payable and/or payroll responsibilities.
- Strong command of standard, professional office practices and procedures.
- Highly proficient with Bill.com, Microsoft Office, including Excel, with ability to quickly learn and utilize various software applications to complete assigned tasks.
- Experience with accounting systems such as Quickbooks, Microsoft Dynamics (Great Plains) or Netsuite. Payroll software a plus.
- High attention to detail and quality of work, including thorough consideration for its method of delivery to end users.
- Professional and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong sense for upholding confidentiality over various corporate, HR and other sensitive materials and data encountered during the course of work.
- Knowledgeable of wage and tax laws corresponding with federal, state and local tax agencies.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the job duties as listed above is acceptable.